If you’re a long time apple user, you may already have an Apple ID, which is the authentication method used by Apple to give users access to services such as the app store, iTunes, iCloud and Apple music. Your Apple ID consists of the email address and password you use to sign in, your contact and payment information as well as your security details. It’s similar to your Gmail account, which can be used across Google devices to access services such as the play store, Google Drive and YouTube.
For first time Apple users, this guide will show you how to set up your Apple ID and become part of the Apple ecosystem
1-Through the Web
The simplest way to create an Apple ID is through the official Apple website.
- Visit https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create and click “create your Apple ID.”
- Fill in your personal details including your name, location, date of birth, email and password.
- Select your security questions and type their answers, then click continue
- Check your email address (the one you gave in step 2) for Apple’s verification code, then type the six digit code on the website and click verify to create your Apple ID.
Your iTunes account and Apple ID are the same things, so those with an iTunes account may not need to create a separate Apple ID. iTunes is among Apple’s oldest services and was once the only way to create an Apple ID. While it’s been 19 years since its original launch in 2001, the media player can still be used to do just that.
- Launch iTunes on your PC
- Click the Account menu, then click sign in
- Click create a new Apple ID
- Enter the required information and agree to apple terms and conditions then click continue
- Select the method of payment for purchases at the iTunes store
- Click “Create Apple ID.”
3-Through your iPhone
If you’ve just recently got an iPhone, creating an Apple ID is part of the setup and is a pretty straightforward procedure. However, if you wish to set up a new Apple ID through your iPhone just follow these steps:
- Go to settings > iCloud
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap “create a new Apple ID.”
*be sure to sign out of your existing ID if you are currently signed in. To do this scroll to the bottom and tap “sign out”*
- Enter your date of birth and tap next
- Enter your name and tap next
- Enter an email address you wish to use for your ID and tap next
- Create a password for your ID as per the instructions on the screen and tap next
- Add three security questions and tap next to create your Apple ID
Well There you have it, Your Apple ID is ready for use!
Once you have created your Apple ID, you can enjoy Apple products and services with peace of mind. All future Apple services, whether announced or upcoming, can be accessed through your new Apple ID.
This makes it essential to remember your password and security details at all times, as being locked out of your Apple account could deny you access to not only Apple services but also to any personal information on those services such as pictures and videos stored on your iCloud account
Similarly, its also best to keep your new account secure to prevent your account from being hacked, and your personal and financial details being used unknowingly. To keep your information safe, its best to :
- Keep a strong password consisting of at least six digits that are a combination of numbers, letters, and symbols.
- Regularly change your password, ideally every 60 days, as recommended by the national cybersecurity Alliance.
- Keep your software up to date.
- Set up two-factor authentication.
- Keep a device passcode on all your Apple devices.
- Keep your trusted phone numbers up to date.
- Keep your trusted devices physically secure.
- Be wary of emails and texts from apple asking for your credentials. Apple does not contact users for their account information via text or email.
Following these tips will ensure that your account is secure and protected at all times, allowing you to use Apple products and services worry-free.